When I first entered the field I became horribly sick. I was riddled with infection--eyes, ears, sinuses, throat. I was miserable and had to be left at members houses while my companions (I was in a threesome) went out to teach. I didn't know if I could bear to make it during that first two weeks. I received a blessing from some elders and in it I was told that my mission would not be easy--but it was a stepping stone to prepare me for what was to come. I was panicked.....I wondered what that meant and feared I would end up with cancer. Well, I didn't get the cancer, but I did face some tests and trials within the first two years after returning home.
Some of them include: being in agonizing pain for 7 months before being diagnosed with Crohn's disease. My grandma, (whom I was very close with,) died. Fighting with my family (the bottom line of that was they were not supportive of my marriage.) Having my mother die and being by her side when it happened. (we were still on the outs at the time and the spirit, trying to ease the blow I would receive and kept trying to warn me about what was about to happen. But that story can be saved for later.) Believing I would never have children, My husband's health challenges, unemployment, relocation....the list goes on and on.
How did my mission help prepare me for all this you may ask?
#1 No matter how bitter I may have been with life and with God--I could not deny what I KNEW to be true, which is the Gospel of Jesus Christ and the church which I served for 18 months.
#2 While on my mission my Mother wrote me a letter in which she realized the reason why family members and missionaries are suppose to have such limited contact during the mission. It is found in Matthew 10:37-39. I learned to sever the "umbilical cord," so to speak. I was emotionally dependent on my mother and she told me in that same letter to develop a relationship with my Father and Mother in heaven, because my earthly parents wouldn't always be around to support me. I don't think she realized at that time, when she gave me that advice that she would only have 3 more years left on this earth.
#3 I learned to recognize and listen to the spirit. This has helped in so many ways, including when I decided to marry Corey. I didn't want anything to do with him just five years earlier. When he asked me out for the first time, I had just graduated from high school....I gave an excuse not to go on the date. (I thought he was too old for me at the time.) Five years later we started dating and the spirit confirmed to me line upon line that we were a good match. Being with him just felt right. I needed that reassurance from the Lord, especially during the conflict with my family. I needed to be able to stand my ground and defend my husband and my decision to be with him. I love my family and I can sympathize with some of their concerns at the time, however.....I learned a valuable lesson in helping to support and build a young marriage between two people rather than attempting to drive a wedge and cause conflict. Having served a mission has also served me in my marriage in so many ways, including, but not limited to: conflict resolution, listening skills, and building relationships of trust.
#4 Try, try again. We are not perfect and I tried so hard to be on my mission. I fretted and worried about so many things and looking back now, I can see that I made the experience harder than it needed to be. (I put myself through a lot of unnecessary guilt.) I needed to trust in the love and mercy of the Lord. At the end of the day, we all need the power of the atonement to help us try again tomorrow. My mission president, in an interview once compared me to Martha in the Bible. In that same conversation he said that I was "waiting for all the lights to be green down the street before moving forward." sometimes you have to just keep starting, stopping and starting up again in life. Today I find myself doing a lot of "starting up again," and now I realize that is exactly what the Lord expects of me. I'm not expected to be perfect, I'm just expected to strive to be better each day.
President and Sister Knudsen with my little family. Our mission reunion was held in Salt Lake City, UT on April 2, 2010.

4 comments:
Hailey, I loved reading your testimony of lessons learned in the mission field. It does seem just like yesterday that you and I were in the MTC. Sometimes I think back and realize how naive I was at the time at thinking life was so easy. I was hard on members that didn't put as much effort into missionary work as I thought they should have. Now, reality has hit and I'm learning my lesson that life isn't so easy, but what a blessing it is to have served a mission and know that the gospel is TRUE. That knowledge helps keep me on the path when life is hard.
THANKS too for coming to visit before you went to your reunion. I'm hoping to finish going through your photos soon!
How amazing are the things we look back and realize that even though we didn't think they were important at the time they are now. Thanks for sharing and being the person you are!
I'm sure we've talked about this before...but that's right around where I went to school! We have to get together one of these days!
My Dear Hailey,
Have I ever told you how sorry I am for signing you up to receive catalogs about bedpans? Well . . . I'm not THAT sorry, but I DO want you to know that I think you are an amazing woman. I have always thought so. You are strong and brave, despite the challenges you have faced. I remember coming to your mom's funeral and wondering how you could still be so welcoming and loving and thoughtful of us when you were going through something so devastating. How my heart wept for you and all you had gone through! And yet . . . you stayed our sweet, unfailing Hailey. You have always been such a good friend to me and I love you dearly. You are hilariously fun, as well as kind and thoughtful to everyone and I am so grateful to know you. Thanks for sharing your testimony about your mission. I, too, learned so much from mine and I still see the hand of the Lord in my life, blessing me for that service so long ago. Can you believe it has been a decade?! Love you.
Post a Comment