
Today I am celebrating 7 years of marriage to my best friend. I can hardly believe how fast the time has flown by. Corey and I have been through so much in these last 7 years. When you are married in a civil ceremony the couple is asked: "Do you promise to love, comfort, honor and keep one another for better or worse, for richer or poorer, in sickness and in health. And forsaking all others, be faithful only to them so long as you both shall live?" I love those vows and even though they were not used at my wedding (having had a temple ceremony) there is a lot of information there given to couples about the importance of "sticking it out." Today the divorce rate is so high, and I think it is because people say "I do" without really listening to the question. Corey and I have struggled together as a couple through sickness, poverty, death, depression, and feeling ostracized. We have had to "forsake all others" at times to stand by and support one another and build our relationship and family. It has not been easy and I don't think anyone expects the bumps and bruises from the road of life and marriage that they receive. I am just so thankful that I have a companion who has been compassionate, patient, loving, supportive, and encouraging.

Corey is a wonderful combination of tenderness and compassion, as well as strength and boldness. He calls me out on the things that need to be changed and I love that. He doesn't let me get away with being the "princess" and not stretching myself. I can't grow as an individual, a wife, and a mother without him pushing and encouraging me to be better and try harder, Thank you sweetheart!! Even though I dig in my heels at times I know your just trying to help. He treats me as an equal and expects me to "check" him as well. We both want to be the best possible versions of ourselves. Many times over the years we have been far from reaching that goal, but what we love most about one another is that we keep trying. There will always be times where you think, "I didn't sign up for this!" My constant comfort has been to know that I have a man who is not willing to quit on me or on our relationship, no matter how stressful or hard things have or will be. Corey waited a long time to get married and we nearly lost one another early in our marriage. This was an especially difficult time for my husband, I was so sick at the time I have little recollection of that first year of our marriage. However, that first year became the building block and foundation of everything we believe and stand for as a couple-- I am so grateful for the difficulties shared and experienced together.

Along with the lows there are the highs, and Corey and I have been privileged to share some of the happiest memories together. Our wedding day will always be a treasured memory, the spirit felt that day in our intimate little ceremony will forever linger in my mind and heart. We chose to have a very small group of people attend the temple with us. Corey and I were so thankful to have made it to the temple to be sealed to one another. After everyone left the sealing room he and I knelt down in prayer and thanked our Heavenly Father for helping us reach that sacred and important goal.

Another joy we have shared together is that of parenthood. I knew when I married Corey he would be a wonderful father. I wanted someone who would be involved in our children's lives and development. I didn't want someone who believed being a good father was merely making money to "support" his family. Corey's interest and involvement in their education, and his plans on how to help them feel and recognize the spirit and become worthy priesthood holders is one of the most endearing qualities about him. I fall in love with him all over again when I see how much he loves our children. I look forward to sharing many more years with this wonderful companion. How lucky I am to grow old with him, and to have the opportunity to remain with him after this life.
5 comments:
HAPPY anniversary! :)
Happy anniversary, I can still remember the days of being roommates and you mulling over the idea of Corey being "a dirty old man.";)
Ha! Ha! how funny, he still is a dirty old man.....I just happen to love that about him now.
Happy 7 years! Hey, as an answer to an earlier post...I really like the name Dean...
Happy belated anniversary! I love that top pic, what a great photographer you must have had- and you look stunning!
Post a Comment