Well I have decided it is time for Thayne to jump on the potty train!! I have been thinking about potty training him ever since he turned 2, but everyone kept telling me..."oh don't worry about it". "Wait until he is ready," or "Most boys aren't trained until they are 3." etc. Well If I wait to start trying after he is three I will have a newborn, an 18 month old and a three year old all in diapers. I will be busy chasing two babies around, and wont dedicate as much attention to potty training as I need to, thereby putting the task off even longer.
The last time I bought a set of diapers for the boys there was an insert on the inside that said:
"Is your child ready to be potty trained?" I know I am ready, but Thayne has been totally disinterested in the cute little potty his Daddy and I picked out for him a couple months ago. The insert had a website www.pottyproject.com which is sponsored by pull-ups. (of course.) So I went and checked it out and it has some video stories of six families and their individual struggles to potty train their own kids.
Thayne came into the bedroom while I was watching one of the potty videos and said, "poops." Which is his way of saying: "mom change my diaper please." I instinctively grabbed a diaper and after cleaning his bum, thought.....No, I am going to put a pull-up on. So I ran and grabbed the pull-up which Thayne was hesitant about and didn't like. But I showed him his favorite characters from Disney's Cars was on the front and after that it was more acceptable. Next step, to get him to actually sit on the potty, which he has always cried, fussed and run away from. He did at the first try, but I bribed him with a "snack" if he would sit on the potty for four (slow) seconds. I counted to four, told him he could get off and he asked for his snack. I gave him 3 gummies. A couple min. later he came back into the bedroom where I was at and kept saying in a soft drawn out voice....F.O.U.R? I asked: "Do you want to sit on the potty again for four seconds and get another snack?" He replied: "Five?" "Ok, we can sit on it for five seconds," I said. He sat down and I slowly counted to five, told him to stand up, I asked him to reach down and pull his pull-up on (which is isn't doing yet,) and then I told him to "flush." Which he did after I showed him how. Then he received another three gummies.
Since then I have had him sit on the potty two more times which he willing has done, without bribery. The last time we counted to twenty, so he is at least sitting on the potty for longer periods of time. Now I just need to work on helping him realize he needs to go potty, so that he actually does something in the potty. I designed a "potty train" (because Thayne loves trains.) Every time he goes pee pee or poop in the potty we add a train car to the Engine. He likes his train, and hopefully he will get more excited when we actually start adding train cars to it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
Good luck, I absolutely hate potty training. I would choose going through labor again any day over potty training.
I only have a couple of possibly helpful hints. I just used the big potty and put the kids on backwards. It helped them feel more comfortable and shoot in the right direction.
Potty training is much more work for the mom than the kids, so you deserve a reward when it is over. Justin was the hardest kid to potty train and I bought a really nice pair of shoes for myself once he finally figured it out.
Good luck!
go girl! You can do it! Just be consistant!
We would sit backwards too for a long time with Zander! He couldn't fall in and he could see everything he was doing in the toilet! It was great. He now will stand and go potty, and of course sits for the rest! But you can try standing him on your feet and having him aim for something to pee on...Zander likes to pee holes into the toilet paper, so we put some t.p in there and he pees on it! Have him go with Corey too! Have him copy daddy!
Fun times for sure! Good luck!
I'll potty train the twins when you get Thayne done. Or better yet, you can train all three at the same time:)
Love your new family picture! Number 3 on the way? Oh my goodness! You are a better woman than me! Congrats!
Post a Comment